For athletes whose performances in the upcoming winter-sport Regional Qualifiers will earn them the chance to compete in Kamloops, at stake in the 2015 Provincial Games will be the opportunity to advance to national and international levels of competition. Top performers in Kamloops will achieve the opportunity to advance to the 2016 Special Olympics Canada Winter Games in Corner Brook, Newfoundland, where the participants will compete for the chance to move on to the 2017 Special Olympics World Winter Games in Austria.
Sanctioned Regional Qualifiers (listed by date):
Snow Sports Festival
Alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing qualifier
West Kelowna, February 7 to 9
Click to see Global TV coverage– Kelowna athletes Kelsey, Laura, Katarina, Jon and others are included in the coverage.
Curling Regional Qualifier (Region 2)
Kelowna, February 15 to 16
Thanks to Head Coach Jason and many volunteers, the Curling Bonspiel was a very well organized event with 10 teams competing. There were 6 teams from Kelowna.
Three divisions played out for gold.
- Top division (Canadian division) – 1st place went to Kelowna Team Stephens
- Russian Division – 1st place went to one of our new Sport Start teams (Team Mortimer)that are made up of high school students.
- Norwegian Division went to the Kelowna Team Wilms…..
- Guess that was a Kelowna sweep!
- Princeton, Kamloops and Cranbrook from Region One were in attendance as well
Here are some pictures sent in by Leslie. Left to Right: Team Stephens, Team Wilms and Team Mortimer with their first place ribbons. Congratulations to all of the athletes.
Floor Hockey Regional Qualifier
Burnaby, March 29 to 30